Wednesday, July 01, 2009

Book Club - an idea

A call to book artists!

How does this work for an idea? I really enjoying bouncing my ideas off other people, I also enjoy bringing people together to do things and I really enjoy books: as objects, as art works, as stimulation. And I really miss my old book club in Bristol, UK.

If you're an artist working in artists' books, how would you like to join a book club with a difference? Members would take turns chosing a piece of writing (book/poem/play/whatever) that the group would use as a source of ideas for producing an artists' book, say every quarter or every six months. The internet can provide the connection between members, and we could write up/photograph/document our work through something like a joint blog or a Ning on-line group. Resulting artists' books would probably be radically different from each other but would have a common link through the writing that inspired them, and could potentially be exhibited as a group.








I'd be aiming to make things easy (no point in saddling ourselves with something that becomes a chore...). Easy to administer, easy to be a part of, and no sense of 'having to do something you don't want to do'. You could join and not do every book but pick the ones which take your fancy.

So tell me, WHAT DO YOU THINK? Answers and any questions would be very welcome, and if you think of anyone else who works in artists' books and might like to join it would be great if you could pass on this blog post and perhaps they'd like to get in touch.

6 comments:

Carol said...

Sounds interesting. I'm not really capable of consecutive thought tonight but I just wanted you to know that I'd be interested to hear more. I hope you get a few more nibbles.

ronnie said...

I LOVE the idea and spirit of this suggestion Sara.... and I'll happily put my hand in the air.


I love the idea of sharing, discussion and collaboration - not just working away in isolation and then presenting a finished something (ta-darrrr!) to other groupies. That said I have no idea how that suggestion may manifest itself!

lots of luck with the 'project'

cheers

ronnie

Snippety Gibbet said...

I'd love to participate, though I've done minimal amounts of book art. If I would qualify to join in, I'd love to try an interesting challenge every six months or so. jan

Ampersand Duck said...

Ooh, I've been so busy lately I haven't visited...

I think it's a great idea, and I'd love to be involved. Shall we discuss over lunch at Sturt?

Angela said...

I'd be interested in this. I think I need something to give me a kick up the ass! It will be tough because I work full time and I still haven't made loads of books that I have ideas for (there's one I started in 2006!).

What seems to be the general consensus of opinion so far? Quarterly or every 6 months?

Louise said...

I would love to get involved, I'm in the UK and just caught the thread of this on ning Artist's books.
I read the most recent post and it sounds like fun and I just love to have a buttkick to get me into making a new book.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin